[Silly Little Cars] 93' GO-4 REAR SHOCK

bugnut at windstream.net bugnut at windstream.net
Fri Apr 4 06:41:01 PDT 2014

Bruce,
I’ve looked at the pix again.
Then, I looked at the parts manual on here:
http://sillylittlecars.com/files/Go-4%20-%20Additional%20Manuals/PARTS&SERV_MANUALS/GO-4_PARTS1992-94/1993-94PartsManual.pdf
You’re absolutely correct, there is no spring on the shock.
That said, it looks like the suspension is a torsional type setup, using 4 rubber rods on each side at the front mounting brackets of the swing arm.
So, I sent an e-mail to Westward in hopes of an answer too. I’ll keep you informed.
First, check the both front mounts for the rubber rods and their conditions. After all, we’re talking about 20 year old components.
If they are rotted/worn out, that could be why the shock is fully compressed.
If need be, repair the mounts then look at replacing the shock.

Now for the free advise. (Meaning it’s worth what you paid for it and is your decision to make.)
Look long and hard at the parts manual pages dealing with the rear suspension components so you know what your dealing with.
I’d leave the shock off and load the suspension system to reduce the space between the shock mounting holes and measure the new spacing. Only load the system to the point your comfortable with.
You don’t want to cause the rubber rods in the mounts to be damaged.
Now that you have the “loaded” dimension you can select a new shock. One that fits the “loaded'” length with say a 1/2” to 1” more travel until it’s fully compressed. Fully extended length could be any length that fits.
The idea here is that once the load is removed, the suspension will “spring” back to it’s normal state. The shock will extent to the length it needs to and then act as it should.
Hopefully you’ll find a shock that doesn’t require cutting and drilling.
I hope this will be of some help.
Later,
Mike