[Silly Little Cars] ECM on 1996 Interceptor

bugnut at windstream.net bugnut at windstream.net
Mon Mar 18 15:34:34 PDT 2013

Dan,
Been awhile since I had my 96’s dash open, but pretty sure about it’s location.
On the 96 it’s just above the fuse box on the right side.
Take the front cover (2 screws) off the right side, like your looking to replace a fuse and get where you can look up into that area, and you’ll see it.
You’ll need to remove the dash top to get at it . No problem to pull it once you’ve done that.
Check the Festivas also, just to be sure. Could look at the Mazdas with the 1.3L of the same era, but they maybe a long shot.
Make sure you get one for and automatic too. Make sure the numbers match, that way you have the same programming on them.
Doubt your’ve burned up an ECU, but it’s possible.
More likely to be a coil pack breaking down when hot or and O2 sensor failing causing rich/lean condition.
When an ECU fails you’ll know it. The thing will drop into LIMP home mode and will barely make 35.
Can’t remember if the 96 has an OBD1 connector under the dash or not. The 2004 have one under the dash cover.
It may have since they used the wiring harness from the car too for the most part.
If it does, hook it up to a scanner and read the codes.
Hope this helps.
Mike