[Silly Little Cars] Oregon DMV and silly little cars

HAL hal1812 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 05:17:06 PDT 2013

Always find the applicable law in your state (it seems very often to be in the definition section of the vehicle code) and bring a copy with you.  (I have the one for Oregon reproduced below and a link to where it is on an Oregon government website).  You can ignore the plate, just pay attention to the number of wheels.  4 wheels equals not a motorcycle.  3 wheels equals motorcycle.  If it was not titled appropriately, you can fix it but it may be a BIG hassle, so factor that in the price.

WHENEVER you consider one that has NO title, point out that your state requires them to be titled (whether or not they are on the road, usually that is the case anyway) and that basically it is a parts vehicle now.  If they want to give you a bill of sale, tell them that won't work (it doesn't in most states).  Tell them you'll pay their asking price, if they get it titled.  Then LOWBALL BIGTIME because it is going to be a hassle to get it titled and registered.

In Oregon, bring a copy of the applicable Oregon statute, which is reproduced below.

801.365 “Motorcycle.” “Motorcycle” means any self-propelled vehicle other than a moped or farm tractor that:
      (1) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
      (2) Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels; and
      (3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. [1983 c.338 §63]

You can find it at the Oregon state legislatures website here -->  http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/801.html