[Silly Little Cars] Water Pump

Michael Norton nortom at uw.edu
Mon Feb 22 07:04:49 PST 2021

Remove the right rear tire.
Remove the right rear fender. The taillight grill is attached to the fender. The whole section from the door to the taillight below the door track comes off. While you are in there it is a good time to replace the air cleaner and check the air intake hose for damage. My air cleaner was stock Ford Aspire
Remove the fan belts. Mine has ac.
Remove the crankshaft pulley.
Remove the plastic timing belt covers. There is a bolt hidden in the middle of the cover.
Remove the timing belt. There is a moveable tensioner pulley with 1 bolt and small spring, push it as far as it will go to loosen the belt, the belt is a close fit and will be easier to get off. Be sure to mark / take picture of the position of the crank and cam pulleys. DO NOT MOVE.
Now you can remove the water pump.
The water pump has a 2 bolt flange toward the front that has o ring on the pipe under the exhaust manifold. Replace the o ring it is in the kit.
Replace the water pump.
Good time to replace the timing belt. I did not think the little spring on the tensioning pulley on my engine made the belt tight enough so I gave it a little more.
Re assemble all the stuff, You are done!
Sounds worse than it is. If all goes well in and out in a couple hours.

Michael Norton

  *   nortom at uw.edu
  *   206 685-1128, 206 734-7310
  *   Box 359405
Maintenance Supervisor 2, UWF: OPS: CUO: UW Tower Foms 25