[Silly Little Cars] Cushman police fuel pump

Charles Lent clent at carolina.rr.com
Sun May 17 06:40:41 PDT 2020

Electric fuel pumps (if the right versions) are far better than mechanical fuel pumps. Yes, they supply fuel at pressure constantly to the carburetor when running because that's what they are designed to do,, but the float and needle valve in the carburetor should only be allowing the needed fuel to enter the carburetor. Old floats tend not to float at the correct level, and the tiny rubber tip on the needle valve do go bad. If the engine is flooding or gas is coming out of the vent on the carburetor, you should be replacing the carburetor float and needle valve and not the electric fuel pump. After adding an electric fuel pump to my 1987 Cushman, and rebuilding the carburetor including both a float and needle valve, plus a new accelerator pump and gaskets, my Cushman starts and runs far better than it ever did. Electric fuel pumps are designed to provide constant fuel pressure to the carburetor. It's the float and needle valve in the carburetor that regulate how much fuel the carburetor accepts. Save your money and rebuild the carburetor, but make certain that the rebuild includes a new float and needle valve.

Charley