[Silly Little Cars] Insurance for Cushman - help!

Charley via Silly_little_cars silly_little_cars at lists.sillylittlecars.com
Thu Sep 22 12:50:20 PDT 2016

I have been considering a Honda 1000cc Gold Wing motorcycle engine (78 hp), but I haven't found one at the right price and in running condition (rebuildable) from a wrecked Gold Wing, and it will take a bunch of work and specially made machine shop parts to get it installed. As best as I can tell, it will easily fit in my 1987 Truckster and provide awsome horsepower for it's size, but because of the expected installation difficulty, so I haven't been looking very hard for one.

 Harbor Freight sells a 22 hp overhead valve V twin Predator engine for about $600, but it too will require a lot of work to install. I think the Cushman engine mounts will need to be lowered about 2" too, and although it's a new engine and newer technology, it's still only 22 hp. I think if I'm going to go to all of the trouble to install a different engine, I'm going to want better performance.

I hadn't thought about a Geo engine. I'll have to look into it. The height of the motor space in the Cushman seems to be the most critical problem. It's tough to be comfortable while sitting on a valve cover or spark plug.

So far I keep repairing the 22 hp OMC engine that's in it, using parts from 2 other OMC 22 hp engines that I have, but I'm running out of the parts that seem to be going bad. My best upgrade for it so far has been the installation of an electric fuel pump, and removal of the mechanical fuel pump and bypass filter. It will now almost always start in the first revolution with very little choke, if a cold start.

Charley