[Silly Little Cars] Registration in California Looking for VIN Numbers

Brett M via Silly_little_cars silly_little_cars at lists.sillylittlecars.com
Thu Jul 30 11:27:27 PDT 2015

When first registering my 03 Interceptor in San Francisco (it had been
previously been owned by Daly City PD), they needed to record the engine
number as part of the title transfer.  After the DMV employee was unable to
find it, I was referred to CHP.  I made an appointment then went to the
local station where a CHP officer climbed on top of the engine, stuck his
head down in the front half of the engine bay, and claimed to have found
the number.  He wrote it on the form, signed it, and I went on my way.  I'm
not sure if he actually found anything, but his word was enough for the DMV
to finish the registration.

TL;DR if the DMV can't find your engine number, the CHP should be able to.