[Silly Little Cars] conventional wisdom about GO-4 models (pcking)

miatav8 at earthlink.net miatav8 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 13:07:27 PDT 2014

>Is there any wisdom about which GO-4 model might be better than the others?
IMHO, Ford (mazda) powered, 95-99 or so go4.

>Someone said that the 4 cylinder Hyundai motor in the 04 was not imported into the US. The '96 used a 1.3 liter Ford. From which car?
The '96 should have a Ford Aspire drivetrain. I think all Hyundai powered are 1.0L 3 cylinders and all go4s are automatic.

>Are parts available?
Yes, for the Ford/mazda.

>Are some models more problematic than others?
Not sure.

>Where did the transaxle come from.
Ford Festiva/aspire

>Is it a car unit?
Yes.

>Which one?
jatco 3 speed

>Did it change with the engine?
Not sure what comes with the hyundai.

>Is there a tech section to the web site?

>Common maintenance issues that are unique to the GO-4?
Crude parking brake on 93 and older. Poor airflow to radiator for engine and transaxle cooling. Lack of instrumentation to know what is going on.

>Removing the governor?
It's electronic with a special speed sensor in the transaxle, replacing the cable driven setup on festivas/aspires.

>Model explanations?
The following may not be entirely accurate
90-93, Ford Festiva (Kia body) automatic (jatco 3 speed) and 1.3L 4 cylinder (mazda sohc). Single torsion arm rear suspension with centered coilover.
94-98, Ford Aspire (Kia body)automatic (jatco 3 speed) and 1.3L 4 cylinder (mazda sohc). Independent rear suspension with coilovers.
99-present, Hyundai automatic and 1.0L 3 cylinder. (not shared with any US import vehicle)

Up to about 94, they used acrylic sliding side windows in one-piece doors and the model is a P35.
Newer generally have fixed tempered glass side windows with two-piece doors, allowing the window to slide back separately. The models are interceptor I, II, III.

Steve