[Silly Little Cars] Oregon DMV & Silly Little Cars

Geoffrey Hendersen hendersen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 18:54:48 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I have a 1979 Cushman Truckster with 18 HP OMC engine I am trying to get
road legal in Oregon. Unfortunately, it was never titled as it was a
service vehicle for a Portland institution - all I have is the original
bill of sale to that institution and then the bill of sale to me.

In order to title/register a motorcycle in Oregon I need to prove that the
engine is EPA compliant (which did not exist when the vehicle was
manufactured, hence there is no statement that it is) as well as supposedly
pass a DEQ test (which that one I believe is waived due to the Cushman
being classes as a low-speed vehicle). If it is indeed a requirement that I
show EPA compliance (even though the vehicle is older than the EPA
compliance law) then it would seem it is illegal to register any antique
motorcycles whose engines are not recognized?

Does anyone have a similar experience to this or know what hoops I need to
jump through to get this street legal?

Thanks!
--

*Geoffrey Hendersen