[Silly Little Cars] help 89 truckster

Charley clent at carolina.rr.com
Sun Jul 28 09:29:53 PDT 2013

Charles,

You should go to the manuals section of Sillylittlecars.com and download the service manual and it's supplement. They contain a lot of information that you are going to need to revive your Truckster that I wish I had while doing mine.

It's getting difficult to find many parts for Trucksters. The motor parts, like gaskets, etc. are quite readily available from places like Directparts.com but you will likely run into problems locating things like gas tank caps, brake cylinders, brake shoes, brake master cylinders, etc. Fortunately, Cushman used many standard parts that are still readily available from the automotive and forklift industry. The only problem in finding them is that there seems to be no industry cross reference information to the Cushman part numbers. One member of the service team at my local ORiley store, with many years of experience, was able to help me by using his experience and good memory to find parts that matched my needs. The older parts guy at the forklift shop also has many years of experience and has helped me the same way. Cushman Trucksters are industrial vehicles, so they were originally serviced by shops that repaired industrial vehicles, such as forklifts. Cushman didn't make all of the parts they used. Most were sourced from the automotive industry. Cushman made the body and chassis parts, but sourced many of the other parts and then assembled the Trucksters from them.

I was able to find the exact same brake master cylinder (new on the shelf) at a forklift repair shop for $31. This same master cylinder is used in several models of forklifts. It is currently selling on the internet for 2-3 times that price when you search for it as a Cushman part. The wheel cylinder rebuilding kits for my truckster are identical to early 1980s Ford F-100 pickup trucks. I bought them from ORiley Auto Parts store for about $5 each. Identical brake shoes came from the forklift shop for $10 each. The fuel filters (even the bypass filter) are readily available through ORiley Auto Parts and other auto parts stores. I will post the source and part numbers for the parts that I found this way, but it may take me a few days to get this list together, I had intended to do this for myself, but other priorities in my life have delayed me. I saved the box tabs with the brand and part numbers for each part that I bought, but just put them in an envelope. I guess it's now time to put the list together from them.

A note about the brake systems used in these Trucksters: They aren't sealed systems like the newer automotive brake systems. The master cylinder has a vent in the cap that allows air/moisture to enter/exit from the reservoir. The brake fluid used in the Truckster brake system is alcohol based and the alcohol part of the fluid will absorb water vapor. When sufficient water has been absorbed it will begin rusting the steel parts of the brake system from the inside.

The brake system in my Truckster was a complete rusted mess internally from sitting in a damp forest and absorbing moisture through the vent with every atmospheric pressure and temperature change that occurred for the 12 plus years that it had been sitting there. Now that my brake system has been completely rebuilt, I've considered trying to find a more modern sealed system alternative for the master cylinder, but will likely just completely remove the brake fluid from the system and replace it with new fluid on an annual schedule.

Charley