[Silly Little Cars] Chinese made

Alec Bennett wrybread at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:09:23 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM, John Call <jo.callander at gmail.com> wrote:

> How about natural gas, liquid propane, bio-fuels, and renewable methane
> just to name a few alternatives for the internal combustion engine? We need
> to think outside the box.

Those are all great as efficient use of by-products, but none are (as far
as I know) viable as a widespread replacement for gas or dinosaur diesel.

And as far as hybrids, agreed that at the moment they're a great
alternative, but (again, as far as I know) they only have an advantage over
straight electric because we have such a crappy electrical car
infrastructure (not enough charging stations), and battery technology still
sucks so bad (they're expensive, wear out, charge slowly, and are too bulky
to get much range).

I think countries like China, where the government actively encourages
industry, are going to completely obliterate us in the future with their
electric cars, since this country allows the oil industry to sabotage any
attempts to nurture an electrical car industry. Sigh, I remember when this
country took competing with other countries seriously. I know Solyndra was
a disaster, but it seems to me that our government really has to subsidize
the hell out of battery development and charging station infrastructure
(which China is doing) or, in 20 years, this country is going to completely
lose any serious foothold it has on global auto production.