[Silly Little Cars] brakes

Charley via Silly_little_cars silly_little_cars at lists.sillylittlecars.com
Thu Oct 1 10:42:46 PDT 2015

Sorry, but I don't have a part number for the master cylinder. I just took my old master cylinder to the forklift repair shop and they got one off the shelf for me. It wasn't in a box or even a bag, so no number. If it has a 1" bore and it looks the same, then it should fit. I think I paid about $40 for the one that I have, way cheaper (about 1/2) than the price it's being sold for on the internet.

Your brake system, including the master cylinder is full of rust, isn't it? Ever want to know why?

The DOT-3 brake fluid that's used in the Trucksters is "alcohol" based and these master cylinders have a vent in the cap. Every time the air temperature/pressure changes, air is drawn into and out of this vent. Along with the air is a small amount of moisture (humidity). The alcohol in the DOT-3 brake fluid readily absorbs this moisture, just like Dry Gas (which is also alcohol) does in the gas tank. When enough moisture has mixed into the brake fluid it begins rusting the steel parts of the brake system from the inside out. I searched for an un-vented replacement master cylinder (like used in the newer cars) but I could not find one that would fit my Cushman Truckster without a lot of modification. My solution, and I'm not satisfied with this, is to just bleed out all of the DOT-3 brake fluid and replace it with new fluid every year, before the moisture builds up enough to do any serious rusting. There is a silicone based fluid available that will not absorb water, but to use it, every last bit of DOT-3 fluid must be removed from the entire brake system before installing it. So it's a nuisance, but I've decided to just replace the DOT-3 brake fluid in my Truckster every year.

Charley