[Silly Little Cars] GO-4 - 3 Wheeler (sbc)

miatav8 at earthlink.net miatav8 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 14 12:51:34 PDT 2014

Find a new mechanic. A rear main seal typically costs less than $50, lasts at least 100,000 miles, and would require about as much labor as replacing a transaxle on a fwd car; about $800 depending on the area.

If it really needs a rear main seal, it is only a nuisance problem you can live with. They leak the most when idling so the rate of leakage is quite low. Tends to only leak when marking it's territory in parking lots and driveways. Higher rpms sling the oil from the crank into the oil pan before it can creep past the seal.

If you are truly tired of it, put it on Ebay rather than part it out. I saw one go for $7000 recently. You'd never get that much by selling parts.

Steve