[Silly Little Cars] ? about registering an (out of) State-owned vanster (J W)

miatav8 at earthlink.net miatav8 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 04:15:59 PDT 2014

Call your local dmv, say you have a special problem and ask for a manager, get their name, and explain that you have a former Oregon State motorcycle with Oregon title to transfer AND register. In general, the Department of Revenue personnel are not as knowledgeable.

I suggest you have the seller email a photo of the legible vin and title in order to do a nationwide VIN check using NMVTIS before you buy:
http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/

For the transfer, you will probably need to have an officer complete a vin verification form on the vehicle (http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf), filled out by the officer and submitted to the dmv along with the Oregon title and nationwide vin check. The officer will compare the title information, the vehicle vin plate, and the CA registry. I've found that local police (who are the ones that will complete the form) only have access to title info in their State so you may need the nationwide vin check for the dmv. The dmv may require an Oregon registry check certified by the Oregon DMV, which should be available through the mail.

Not sure about emission inspection requirments on a 1982 motorcyle in CA or if the Vanster has the same emission equipment for all States.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Also, it can make a difference as far as registration, insurance, and emission checks if the vehicle vin plate indicates a commercial vehicle rather than a motorcycle.

Good luck!

Steve