[Silly Little Cars] looking at an 84 cushman and 97 interceptor (David Buergler)

Alec Bennett wrybread at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:48:27 PST 2013

I have both as well. There's things I like about each. Off the top of my
head:

Cushman Pros

Awesomely simple
Cute as hell, and awesomely goofy looking
A bit shorter than the Interceptor, which is nice since you can park
perpendicuar to the curb a bit easier. I park perpendicular with an
Interceptor too, but sometimes not on narrow streets, and you have to be
careful not to box anyone in.
Super cheap ($300 to $1000), and parts are cheap too, not that I've needed
many.
Massive trunk.

Cushman Cons

Engine is under the seat so you always have a whiff of engine
That '84 is going to be air cooled (they switched to water cooled mid 1989)
so you won't have much heat
No protection during an accident at all.

Interceptor Pros

Comfy comfy comfy. Bucket seats.
Rock solid engine, fuel injected
Ultra powerful. You can go 80, not that its the best idea. But where I live
(SF), it gives me the freedom to cross the bridges, which you can't do with
a Cushman, at least not without a lot of planning and adrenaline.
Has a roll cage and shoulder strap seatbelt
Lots of heat.
Great area under the seat to mount a subwoofer and 6x9s for a thumping
stereo...
Most Cushmans don't have the solid doors, but all Interceptors do.

Interceptor Cons

Longer than the Cush, so harder to park perpendicular
Pricey. Everything is more pricey on an Interceptor, including the purchase
price ($1500 to $6k)
Looks like a prop from the Terminator (I guess this could be a pro too, but
I like the look of the Cushmans more)
The engine is under the trunk so you have a relatively tiny trunk.
You don't have that nice area between the seats and the trunk for grocery
bags. Actually I guess pre-97 had a little storage area back there, but
they got rid of it on later ones.
The frickin fork can be an issue.