[Silly Little Cars] Registration Question

Cory O'Brien thecoryobrien at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:43:24 PDT 2012

Hey Silly Little Cars list,

I've been subscribed to this list for a few months now, and I'm excited to
report that I've finally joined the Silly Little Car brigade, with the
purchase of a 2003 Go-4 Interceptor! So now the fun begins...

My first question is about registering it. I know that they used to be
registered as motorcycles, but looking at CVC 400:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc400.htm it looks like they're no
longer considered motorcycles. ("A three-wheeled motor vehicle that... is
used by local public agencies for the enforcement of parking control
provisions... is not a motorcycle.") So if it's not a motorcycle, what am I
supposed to register it as? I know that motorcycles don't have to pass
smog, but I read somewhere that the Go-4 doesn't either, since it's in the
no-mans land between car and motorcycle. I'm just trying to figure out what
I need to bring with me to the DMV to get it registered. I have the title,
so do I just bring that and see what they say, or do I need to get anything
cleared by the smog board first? Any info from anyone that's had to deal
with registering theirs lately would be appreciated. And if it is a
motorcycle, I guess I need to know the engine block number, but I'm not
sure where to find that. (In that case, do I need to bring the Go-4 in to
the DMV with me?)

Thanks!

- Cory