[Silly Little Cars] Interceptor two steering noise and shimmy

Bryan Lowe spaceaxe at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 09:24:06 PDT 2011

I have an Interceptor two with a steering issue.  Vehicle has about 21000 miles.

at rest I can move the steering wheel left and right before it engages and when it does it gives a clack sound.  If I rock the steering wheel back and forth it clacks. It does so as though the steering gear was worn.

When driving the front end will shimmy a bit and I;ll get a clacking sound from the slop.   I took the steering apart and I don't believe it is the ujoint.  I think it is the gears in the steering unit.  But 20000 miles seems early to me for failure.  Any thoughts?

Bryan
Seattle