[Silly Little Cars] Locking gas cap/rims/engine & drivetrain for 1997 interceptor

HAL hal1812 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 11:47:05 PST 2011

Thank you all for this site and for being part of it.  I've signed up for the email list.  Just so you know, I have read back through September of 2009 (I'll get back further later), looked through the posted manuals, and searched the emails (and Google) for my questions before asking them here.

1) I have a 1997 interceptor and saw, here, that interceptors of that era tend to have a Ford/Mazda motor and drive train.  I think that one person mentioned that the drivetrain for a 1998 was from a Ford Aspire.  On a posting at copcar.com, a person stated that a 1997 had a "Ford Escort 1.9L gas engine and automatic transmission."  Can anyone confirm if this is correct or tell me what engine and transmission a 1997 has?  Thank you.

2) Mine didn't come with a spare and I'd like to try buying some used rims from a junkyard (instead of buying from Westward).  Has anyone already figured out some other vehicles that use the same size rims with the same bolt patterns?  Even if it was not for a 1997, it would give me a place to start.  Thnaks.  (If nobody has and I figure it out, I'll send an email).

3) Has anyone figured out either other vehicles that use the same gas cap or what aftermarket gas cap might fit.  I'd like to buy a locking one to prevent any problems with vandalism.  If someone even knows what aftermarket non-locking one works, I can use that to try finding a locking one.  (Again, if nobody has and I figure it out, I'll send an email).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best regards,
Hal