[Silly Little Cars] Silly_little_cars Digest, Vol 55, Issue 12

Bryan Lowe spaceaxe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:47:17 PST 2011

Someone asked about owning and driving a Go-4.  here are my thoughts.
I have a 1996 with about 23000 miles.  I bought it less than a year ago and
have put about 4000 miles on it.  I commute daily in Seattle about 20-some
miles round trip.  I've also gone on a few 100 mile plus trips, including
camping.

Pro:
It's fun.
I meet people.
So far no damage. I painted it green and white.
I get to go first on the ferry as a motorcycle. They always put me in front
and I get that great Puget Sound.. NW  view.
It's cheaper on the ferry than with my car.
I can squeeze into anything that could be called a parking space.
I can fit through small openings in lines of traffic.
Some parts are easy to access.
I painted the green with a spray can, and it worked just fine.  You just
don't take it TOO seriously.
It worked well for camping.
http://shantylife.com/2011/09/04/meter-maid-camping/
Nothing has really broken yet.
I enjoy different. It is.

Con:
It seems to upset a certain crowd.. on two fronts.  They clearly hate meter
maids... and someone with enough whimsy to drive one clearly bothers
them..sometimes in a BIG way.  I've met two crazies.
Not just anybody will work on the thing.
That front end is wobbling a bit.
Some parts are hard to access.

Both:
So so mileage.  24 or 25 mpg or so.  I really thought it would be better.
But better than my car.
It's like driving a go-cart to work.. in the good and bad sense of that.
I paid.. all told with purchase and transport from California.. about
$3200? Not bad.. but you can get a decent used car that gets about as good
mileage for that.
My boss doesn't enjoy different. It is.