[Silly Little Cars] Anybody have a fuel pump to sell?

Keef getkeef at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 13:51:44 PST 2010

For my 92' Cuchman Truckster?
Stormy down. Stormy down.

--- On Fri, 11/19/10, Alec Bennett <wrybread at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Alec Bennett <wrybread at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Silly Little Cars] Silly little Q.s
To: "Silly Little Email List" <silly_little_cars at lists.sillylittlecars.com>
Date: Friday, November 19, 2010, 1:19 PM

Couple of comments below:

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Steve Clark <sclark1 at flash.net> wrote:

No.  Just a lot of questions that take time to answer; and acquiring information also can also mean passively auditing what is being communicated.  If this was a pay subscription site, I might understand your seemingly “pushy” expectations.  That being said . . .

1.  Are there any other models similar to the GO-4?  Yes.  But availability is the question.  Cushmans (Westcoaster, and others like it)  and GO-4s are the most common.

Not that I know of that are cheap, but if you have the $$ you might also look at some of the small electrics like Corbins:

http://www.corbinsparrow.com/

Or if you don't mind vintage and shipping from Florida see the link I sent out the other day on microcars.

2.  Is the Go-4 Interceptor suitable for extensive street driving, meaning could I reliably drive 40-50 mile round trips 3 times a week in them?  The G0-4s seem to be reliable for short junkets and low speed trips.   Some people use them on the express-way, but they were meant more for in town driving.

What he said. You can drive these things on the highway just fine once you remove the governor (they easily go 60) but they're not exactly safe. Small wheelbase, one wheel in teh front, not a good idea. You can feel that it may flip given the right bump. But technically you defintely *could* do it, especially if you weren't driving on a highway.

 3.  What is it's realistic top speed?  With governor – 40 mph, without governor, I have seen them go 70 mph.

Like 80 probably. Not that you shoudl go that fast.

 4.  are any of these SLCs capable of holding more than one passenger?  In general no (concerning Cushmans and GO-4s).  They are meant for one person.  However, You will find some that have been modified.

I drive two people (myself and a passenger) in my Interceptor all the time. I simply put a cushion next to the main seat since the main seat is so plush, but you could always swap out the seat for a bench if you wanted to make things extra nice for the passenger. You'd still have to deal with the pedals being on the right though.

5. Who can I best turn to to customize them (for storage, catering, bikes, etc)?  This a local thing.  Use the internet, yellow-pages, and shop around for shops that do custom work.

Metal fabrication shops?

6.  I'm in California; do I need to have a motorcycle license to drive these?  Not sure about Calif., but in general, you need a motorcycle license as these vehicles are considered motorcycles for licensing, registration and insurance.

No motorcycle license needed in California.

 7.  What sorts of accessories are popular?  To each his own and mostly custom.

Well obviuously that would be the stereo with the booming subwoofer. And of course the multi colored oscillating LEDs on the under-carriage. And maybe a Barbie bust on the roof. And the surfboard rack is a popular item. And don't forget the concealed siren.

8.  How comfortable is the seating?  Average to not very.  Is it possible to install more comfortable seats?  Yes.
I'd say insanely comforable in the Interceptor. A big bucket seat.

9.  Can these cars tow small trailers etc?  Yes.
Ditto, but careful of that tranny if you're going to load it down and drive on hills.

 10.  How many miles are they good for  lifetime?   Depends on maintenance and parts availability.  Your answer is in the age of some of these vehicles still on the road.  Are there any danger points like say 50k for some domestic US cars?  Danger points?????  Unknown.

Who knows. They're cheap enough that you can just get another one though. But seriously, I've seen lots of them with around 70k miles that still drive great. Replace the shocks and give things a good lubing.

11.  What sorts of general security issues are involved with these cars (hot wiring etc.)?  Later Cushman’s and GO-4s have locking doors. Not sure about early models.  I would say the security issues are similar to any other enclosed lockable vehicle.  I.E., if a professional thief wants your vehicle, he will get it.

If you keep it looking exactly like a metermaid vehicle you'll get grafittied, your windows will be broken, and your car will be turned on its side. Modify it and all will be fine.

12.  Are they noisy to drive?  Not really.  The stock engines and exhausts are about as noisy as your car.  How is the ride in general?  Rough like a mid-sized motorcycle, sports car,  or just a little bit worse.  A Cadillac this ain’t.

I'd say they're very smooth, but then I'm mostly only comparing them to Cushmans...

Er, was it something I said?  These are pretty fundamental questions.  The website associated with this list suggests subscribing for info on these cars.

Sorry sir!

 gj