[Silly Little Cars] street legal in Oregon?

Bob Gallagher usn at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 13:02:03 PST 2010

Hi,

I live near Salem (Keizer) and can tell you that they are perfectly legal in Oregon.  Not to say you won't have trouble, because the Oregon DMV is staffed by a bunch of monkeys who want to do the least amount of work possible and the monkeys have come to realize that saying no is their ticket to zero effort.  The law is in your favor here.  If you get a hassle trying to register one, just go to another DMV office with smarter monkeys.

In Oregon you can register a 3 wheeler like a Cushman/Go-4 as a motorcycle.  If the vehicle is "enclosed" you don't need a helmet or a motorcycle endorsement.

You will not get anyone from the Oregon DMV or ODOT to firmly commit to exactly what "enclosed" is.  Along with avoiding work, the monkeys also avoid accountability.

If your Cushman has a top and doors, it is enclosed.  If you take the doors off but leave the top on, is it still enclosed?  The DMV has refused to answer.  You will just get the runaround.

That all said, I have owned many different Cushman of all styles and have never had a hassle from law enforcement.  I take the doors off in the summer and continue to ride with no helmet.  If I take both the top and doors off, I wear a helmet.   By the way, many cities have "motorcycle only" parking, which you can legally use.  Very handy.

In Oregon you should have no problem registering a Cushman and in my experience you will get no trouble from law enforcement.

They are a great vehicle for plowing around town, I am surprised more people don't have them.

Bob