[Silly Little Cars] assload of cushmi

Bob Gallagher usn at comcast.net
Thu Jun 4 19:01:47 PDT 2009

Three wheels is a motorcycle, no problem registering it.  Well, depending on who is working the counter at the DMV that day.

Add a wheel and make it a little more stable and safe and suddenly you have a car which requires federal crash testing and a whole nother set of environmental emission standards that have to be met.

Up here in Oregon if your Cushman has a top you don't need a m/c endorsement.  Take the top off and you need an endorsement.  Makes no sense.

It's an excellent example of how anything can be made worse by involving the government in running it.

Btw, that $400 Cushman is a bargain you don't find up this way.  I'd snatch it up in an instant.  The air-cooled rigs are fine, just a little more primitive.  I have a 2001 water-cooled that I drive in the winter and an old air-cooled Cushy with no top that I drive in the summer.  The air-cooled one is quite a bit quicker.