[Silly Little Cars] who wants a cushman?

Alec Bennett wrybread at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:44:20 PST 2008

I just sent this to another email list, hence the details that people here
already know. But fyi:

I have too many Cushmans (5) so I'm thinning the herd.

The one I'm selling looks like this:

http://wrybread.com/herman/herman2.php

That one's an '89 though, the one I'm selling is a '99 and has less than
10,000 miles. It also has two soft doors. Its an ex-Salinas Police
Department buggy. They peeled off the PD stickers but you can still clearly
read "Salinas Police Department" on the back, which I love.

A few answers to questions people are bound to have:

- you register these as motorcycles, which means cheap insurance ($80/year)
and you can legally park (and fit) in all motorcycle parking spaces

- funny Cushman fact: you don't need a motorcycle license because, as it was
explained to me by a cop, if metermaids needed motorcycle licenses they'd be
skilled labor.

- you don't legally need to wear a helmet because there's a seatbelt. I'm
not saying you shouldn't, but it's a great loophole.

- you can legally park perpendicular to the curb. Rockstar parking
everywhere you go.

- has heat, and the soft doors keep the heat in nicely

- currently has a governor, but I'll by-pass it for you and it'll go 50 mph
when you need it to.

- stick shift.

- not freeway legal, which means no Bay Bridge and no Golden Gate.

- parts are super easy to get, cheap even.

- has a car alternator so it's very easy to install a booming stereo...

- should stay nice and dry inside

- I ride two people all the time. You have to install a wider seat, i.e. a
piece of wood with some foam and faux fur...

- see the wiki and mailing list on sillylittlecars.com for more info.

Issues:

- currently headlights don't work, but I'll fix that before selling it.
Probably just a fuse. I haven't looked at it much to be honest.

- some rust on the lockbox in the rear. Not on the main part of it, but
where it meets the chassis.

- was accidentally registered as a car so needs to be brought to DMV to be
"retitled". It's easy, I just did it with another one, you drive it up and
they read the plaque that says "this vehicle is a motorcycle" and you're
done. If this makes you nervous I'll handle it for you. No biggie to drive
it with the car plate but might make parking in those new official
motorcycle spaces tricky...

It's out in the Bayview, let me know if you want to take a look at it.

I'm selling it for what I paid for it, $2050. Usually Cushmans go for like
$1500 (or like $800 if you seek them out at auction) but that's usually
1991-era Cushmans with lots of miles. This one is pretty cherry except for
the little bit of rust, which is why I paid that. But then the day after
getting this I found another Cushman that was an oddball even by Cushman
standards so I had to have it, which leaves me with way too many Cushmans.
Or is it Cushmi.